Wednesday, July 22, 2009

From the Links

I’ve never been much of a golfer, but ever since I moved to Bermuda I’ve been on the course at least once a month. Not bad for a guy whose clubs hail from the mid-fifties (seriously, they’re really, really old, passed down from my great uncle Al). Last month Joy and I played Tucker’s Point, a sprawling private club on the east end where we enjoyed Earl Gray tea in the clubhouse and cold Heinekens from the beverage cart along the way. It was a challenging course and by far the prettiest I’ve played yet, but I’m looking forward to tackling eighteen holes at Port Royal, a public championship course that recently got a $14 million facelift. Consider it a total extreme makeover with new tee boxes, cart paths, and fairways, plus the greatest change of all—a complete redesign of the back nine, which added sweeping water views from just about every hole. I was there just last night to celebrate the course’s official opening. It was a gala event featuring sports legends Dr. J and Bill Russell, plus fellow Maryland Terrapin and former NFL quarterback Boomer Esiason who hit a mighty tee shot to christen the course (see above). Boomer’s blogging about his trip to Bermuda and although he said he’d be leaving the island today, he says he’ll be back just next week for an extended vacation with family and friends. That’s good news for Bermuda. Boomer’s got over 1 million listeners on his WFAN radio show, and no doubt he’ll spread the word that Bermuda is one of the greatest destinations in the world for a top-notch golf vacation. As for me, I've got one course down and seven to go. I just hope my old wooden driver holds up.

No comments:

Post a Comment