Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Tree of the Day

After six days spent off the island I don’t have one photograph to show for it. But I think that’s a good thing. Sometimes we get so caught behind the lens while on vacation that we forget to enjoy what it is we’re there to experience. Or maybe I’m just making excuses. Fortunately I carry my camera pretty much wherever I go here in Bermuda. There’s just so much natural beauty, so many smiling faces, such an abundance of picture perfect panoramas. Just the other day I was driving along South Road in Devonshire when I spotted this flamboyant tree, also known as a Royal Ponciana. I couldn’t help myself but to pull over and snap a few photos. It just looked so happy with its bright orange flowers peaking out from the boughs (click the photo for a full-size image to see what I mean). It’s certainly one of the prettiest trees I’ve seen in awhile, but then again the flamboyant is one of my all-time favorites: When the tree’s long brown seed pods dry up and fall to the ground they make excellent rattles, perfect for amateur percussionists like myself. But of course that’s Bermuda for you—perfectly enchanting at every turn. I think it’ll be a good long while before I see that airport again.

No comments:

Post a Comment