Friday, September 4, 2009

The Friday Roundup

This week saw its fair share of casual observations. There was a pleasant visit from old friends, the official unveiling of lobster season, a story from National Geographic Traveler about a completely unoriginal book titled Bermuda Shorts (tongue planted firmly in cheek), and musings on the mind-boggling practice of texting while driving a scooter. On that last story, there’s more. While reading today’s newspaper I gasped after reading this headline: “Motorcyclist fined $1,750 for overtaking while texting—in the rain.” The story goes on to explain that an 18-year-old kid was pulled over near Flatts village after police saw him sending text messages while zipping past slower motorists on his scooter, in a downpour no less. Do you think texting while driving is officially a problem in Bermuda? I’ve had other questions on my mind this week too. Like why does every Mexican restaurant claim to have world-famous margaritas? It’s a question I’ve been asking myself ever since I heard a radio advertisement for Rosa’s Cantina, a Tex-Mex joint on Front street. I bet their margaritas are good (or they better be, after all) but world famous? Perhaps I’ll give one a whirl this weekend and report back. Until then however, have a lovely Labor Day holiday or as they write here in Bermuda, Labour Day. As for me, I'm headed to the beach. Long Bay, anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment