Friday, October 2, 2009

The Friday Roundup

In case you missed it, this week I connected the dots between New York Mayor Mike Bloomberg, former Presidential candidate Ross Perot, and on-again off-again Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi (spoiler alert: They all live in a ritzy Bermuda neighborhood called Tucker’s Town); I shamelessly self-promoted my latest article in the New York Times travel section, 36 Hours in Bermuda (thanks to everyone for all the kind words); told you about a short-lived JetBlue sale and ways to save at the Bermuda Music Festival (30% off tickets if you book through Expedia); and spilled the beans on my favorite new bar, The Frog & Onion Pub at the Royal Naval Dockyard, where I drank my fair share of Somer’s Amber Ale (yummy, hoppy, goodness). What I didn’t tell you about was this lovely rainbow that appeared over the Great South Bay early Monday morning. Awake earlier than normal, I climbed up my stairs only to be greeted by this stunning double arch (look closely and you can see the second one forming just behind the first one). As my neighbor poignantly said before he zipped away on his scooter, it was one of those “Bermuda doesn’t suck” moments. I couldn’t agree more, although with its endless coastlines, palm trees near pine trees, and happy day mentality, it’s hard to find much to complain about here. Sure, folks who’ve lived in Bermuda for awhile will warn you about island fever, that inevitable moment when you Just. Have. To. Leave. But I imagine the same is true for any small town. Find me a person that’s spent over a year in Ames, Iowa without going nuts. Good luck. So to all those naysayers out there, I say turn your eyes to the sky. Looks like it’s gonna be yet another beautiful day in Bermuda.

No comments:

Post a Comment