Thursday, December 10, 2009

In Appreciation Of...Egg Nog

There are certain flavors from one’s childhood that pop up now and again that always seem to put a smile on your face. Maybe they’re sweet, maybe they’re savory, but whatever they are, they’re unmistakable. For me that taste is egg nog. I can remember Christmas parties in my old house as a kid, filling up tall glasses of the stuff, being reminded by my aunt that it’s akin to drinking candy. Of course this was way before I went on my famed ice cube diet to shed whatever “baby fat” I had before entering high school. At the time, I wasn’t very concerned with self-image. When Christmas came around I was drinking egg nog and lots of it. So you can imagine how pleased I was when I walked into the dairy section of my local market and saw this festive carton perched next to the milk. It’s here! Dunkley’s Dairy Egg Nog, fresh from the farm. Admittedly it’s my latest and greatest tropical love affair and boy is it good. Rich, creamy, sweet—everything you’d ever want in an egg nog. Best of all, its got boozy recipes right there on the carton. The “Quick N Easy” calls for three ounces of egg nog and one ounce of Gosling’s Black Seal rum, served over ice and dusted with nutmeg. Even boozier is the “Festive Nog” recipe, which calls for one quart of egg nog, six ounces of Gosling’s Black Seal rum, six ounces of cognac and two ounces of crème de cocoa served over ice with dusted nutmeg. And I was just putting it in my morning coffee all this time! I don’t know about you, but I just got a lot more excited about celebrating the holidays this year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment