Thursday, February 11, 2010

Storm Watch

As Snowpocalypse continues to blanket the U.S. mid-Atlantic coast with the white stuff, the big news in Bermuda is a weather pattern of a different sort—wind and lots of it. Yesterday island residents received an alert from the Bermuda Weather Service advising of “severe and unsettled weather conditions” that will include “wind gusts of over 50 knots and storm force winds gusting to hurricane force until around midday on Thursday.” The agency also warned cyclists to use “extreme caution” when moving about the island. Ya know, in case they get blown over. If the howling winds that kept me from sleeping last night are any indication, then the good folks at the Bermuda Weather Service were spot on. Boy is it blowin’ outside. Of course, I couldn’t leave well enough alone and stay in my home office while watching white caps curl on the Great Sound this morning. Nope. Instead, I took a little adventure down to Church Bay. You remember Church Bay, don’t you? When I was tracking Hurricane Bill last summer I filmed this Al Roker-esque video live from the beach. The waves were crashing pretty hard then too, but today gives that August afternoon a serious run for its money. Even better, I got to see a rainbow just as the storm approached (see above). Wanna see what 50 knots of wind looks (and sounds) like? Then check out this short video I shot this morning. And you thought your weather was bad.

2 comments:

  1. I THOUGHT THAT VIEW LOOKED FAMILIAR. GEE WHIZ THAT'S A WIND, IT WOULD PUT SOME DISTANCE ON MY DRIVE! HOPE THINGS ARE BETTER TODAY.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Surfs up! Yeah, that might be dangerous with conditions like that I suppose. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete