Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Happy St. Patrick's Day?

No, that picture was not taken in Bermuda. That’s from a float I was on during the 2008 St. Patrick’s Day parade held in St. Croix, U.S.V.I—yet another tropical island that I used to call home. It may as well be the happiest and most inebriated day of the year down there. Where else can you wear pig noses under the Caribbean sun and drink shots of home-brewed rum from tiny plastic glasses you wear around your neck? Oh yes, that all happened. Although St. Patrick’s Day tends to get a bit out of hand no matter where you go these days. This being England’s oldest colony, I have a feeling I won’t be seeing folks boozing in the streets or green-clad revelers throwing beads into a crowd of drunken onlookers, but hey, to each his own island right? But in case you’re here in Bermuda and still need that pint of Guinness, I’ve got one suggestion for you: Flanagans. Located on Front Street in the City of Hamilton, it’s Bermuda’s one and only Irish pub and no doubt it will be rollicking tonight. As for me, well, I think I’ll pass on the festivities. Just thinking about St. Croix is party enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment