Tuesday, November 9, 2010

This Way Out

Everyone who knows me knows that I love living in Bermuda. Heck, what's not to love? We've got powdery pink sand beaches, world-class golf courses and some of the best diving anywhere in the world. You know what else I love? The lack of mosquitos. Sure, the island has lizards and tree frogs and ants galore, but unless we're talking about a 30-minute window at dusk, Bermuda is blissfully mosquito free most of the year. As you'll see, this is a very good thing considering three-time world surfing champion Andy Irons died last week reportedly of complications from dengue fever, a mosquito born virus that infects as many as 100 million people annually worldwide. It's a nasty disease, as I know full well since I contracted it about five years ago after hiking in Grenada's Grand Etang National Park. Care to learn more? Then head on over to Outside Television and read my blog This Way Out (formerly known as The Life Outside). Today's post titled "Remembering Andy Irons: Was It Dengue Fever?" is all about the legendary surfing star and suggests ways to stay safe while you're on your next trip to the tropics. In the meantime, I'll be back tomorrow with your regularly scheduled Bermuda Shorts programming.

1 comment: